Monday, September 8, 2014

Self-Imposed Misery. Stop That!

She dragged herself into class and slumped down in her chair. "Why am I so tired?" she whined.
     "Didn't get enough sleep?"
     "No. Ugh. It's work. I work forty hours a week."
     "And how many credits are you taking?"
     "Eighteen" (college students truly know how much work an 18 credit load is: it's more than a 40-hour a week job). I felt very sorry for her.
     "Whaaaat? And you're a vocal major? How...." I thought about how bad my voice sounds when I'm sleep deprived or stressed...
     "I know. And last night I just didn't go to sleep. So I guess that's my own fault."
     "Oh. Sorry. Are you trying to graduate at a certain time? Is that why you are squishing it all in?"
     "Yeah. Next Fall."
     "And you're working a forty-hour a week job? Why?"
     "Gotta pay bills."
     "I see."
     "But, I should be thankful that I have a job. It really is a blessing."

I didn't appreciate her last sentiment, though I offered empathy. I don't like it when people are thankful for dreadful situations. I get it. They are trying to have an attitude of gratitude. But all that does is allow us to accept things that shouldn't be; it keeps us from making changes for the better. There's got to be a cheaper way to live. Get rid of the phone. Sell the car. Get a job downtown. Do something to make your life better. You only have one body. Take care of it! Is your career worth your health? Mine isn't, at least not anymore. It used to be. And that's why her statement bothered me. I refuse to live that way anymore.

It's difficult for me to hear people be thankful for things that are causing them to lose their quality of life. If it is out of their control, I understand. But when it is in your power to make your life better... then make it better! Complaining is bad enough... but being thankful?! Stop enduring self-imposed misery and stop being thankful for it! Make decisions that improve your life. That is my rant for the day.

2 comments:

  1. Susan,

    Soooooo true!!! Yes, absolutely love this. You are so right. We really are so programmed sometimes to live in "learned helplessness". I for one refuse also!!
    Brilliant Susan.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete