Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Israel Update #3: Thoughts on the Train

On the train again!


We're about to close on an apartment that is only a five-minute walk to work! And it has a spare room! *hint hint, family* The next thing on our "to do" list is to get a mattress and furniture! Luckily we have a washer, a fridge, and a stove/oven already. So we'll get some pots and pans locally and then we're off to Tel Aviv to see what goodies Ikea has!

Also, we were not involved in any way in the bus fire that happened two days ago. We're just fine! 

I thought I'd continue this post with some stream-of-thought bits so you can get an idea of the little things we are thinking about these days.

I need to switch to Celsius. People don't know what I'm talking about when I tell them it's going to be 75 degrees out today...  
 I also need to switch to the metric system. Oy.
I chuckle when the train is packed and everyone is standing and then it jerks forward and everyone is stumbling. People look at me like I'm a weirdo for laughing. Maybe it's rude to chuckle at them? Oops, haha.

Sometimes I think things are way cheaper than they are because the shekel is roughly  3.7 shekels to the dollar and I don't do the math right away in my head. Once we sit down and budget (like we always do), I'll have no buyer's remorse.
I feel excessively attached to the people I have spent some time with in the three weeks I've been here. This is a phenomenon I've never experienced before outside of my family. I was sad when a friend said he was flying to the Czech Republic for six days, and I was sad when Jalene's sister moved back to Canada. I've also developed a special love for Ella. As soon as I see her, I have to hold her. This is also a new thing I literally never feel towards babies (Nathan was the exception. He was my buddy).
There are some absolutely gorgeous views on the commute from the Geppert's house. So many rolling hills.
Young Israelis are beautiful, and a lot of them are soldiers, which means they're all strong.
Some Arab men on the train look so angry. I mean, they look so angry, and it breaks my heart. Orthodox Jewish men have this look on their face look like they are in pain when they are on the train. I have my guesses as to why, but I shouldn't judge. [disclaimer, there are a lot of wonderful, nice, friendly, and super sweet Arab and Jewish men around here. They are some of the most family-oriented people I know.]
No big deal... that guy is holding a giant Machine gun...
Drivers like to honk... A LOT
These early mornings are still hard... It can't be jet lag at this point. It's been three weeks since we've been here. I'm just not a morning person.
Missing my musical friends in Minnesota who were such an inspiration to me all the time.
Missing my family... Wishing I could get to know my soon-to-be sister-in-law.
One time, a kid came on to the train rolling his dad in a wheelchair with a foot in a cast. The kid looked like he could be anywhere from age 7-12. He sat next to me on the handicap seat, smiled, and leaned on me like he knew me. It was kinda cute.
I'm only drinking bottled water and all I think about is BPA and BPS. Israelis consume plastic like crazy. Plastic bags are flying everywhere! They're stuck in trees, caught on bushes, floating down the road...
Transliterations of Hebrew words in English on the road signs have different spelling wherever you go and can't be trusted.
Banks charge fees here up the wazoo.
Phone service is super cheap.
It seems like landlords are prepared for their tenants to be the absolute worst. We have been going over a contract to sign on a place, and some of the stipulations make me think people are terrible to their landlords (arguing every small point, trashing the place, skipping town without paying, etc.).
The Jewish real estate agent from France wearing a velvet qippa, white shirt and black pants, wouldn't shake my hand because I'm a woman. Perhaps it's a caution because at any moment I might be on my period (how would he know?) and thus unclean, which would force him to go through a cleansing ritual, and it's probably a big hassle... *sigh* I understand, but it doesn't mean it makes me feel good.
It is SO easy to eat vegan when out with friends. Every restaurant has at least two or three options (and I mean, good options, not just plain lettuce that tastes like pesticides tossed with a few cherry tomatoes). We've also found a vegetarian/vegan restaurant down a block from where we live.
I'm looking at a Jewish guy who is wearing a prayer shawl under his shirt with the little tzi tzi's hanging down under the seat. I bet those get caught on everything... 
How do men keep qippas (or yamacas) on their heads? Those clips don't look very secure...
The young women across from me on the train are reading scripture. Good idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment