Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bashing God's Chosen

I believe it is an injustice to the people of God to bash (vilify, slander, or discredit) any minister of God.

I do not say this to condemn anyone for doing so; I myself have been guilty of bashing others.  God has grace for us.  I only wish to discuss something I have recently learned. 

I myself will be the first to point out wrong doctrine.  Many of the discussions I have with my husband involve post-sermon-bad-theology detox.  And many of these blog posts are exactly that.  But I believe it would be wrong to discredit those ministers who speak bad doctrine.  If people are finding salvation, if the ministry is producing fruit, if people are being filled with the Holy Spirit [as strange as that can sometimes be], then who are we to say God is not using them?

In my experience as a leader in Masters Commission, I've watched our program switch leadership more times than is healthy for any ministry.  And I could tell you story upon story about times I disagreed with what my leaders were teaching to my students and "leaders-in-training" (I call them mine because I love them like they are mine, even now).  Some crazy doctrine has come out of the mouths of almost every leader I've ever worked with at some point in their lives, myself included.  But God used us all in a supernatural way to help shape each others' faith.  I have been hurt by leaders who have led others to be baptized in the spirit, who have prayed for healing and people were healed.  I have hurt people, but God has also used me to pray for those same people and they were instantly healed.

What I am ultimately saying is something that Bill Johnson said at Jesus Culture's 2011 conference "The Awakening."  He told us to always respect the Holy Spirit in others.  In other words, I am not special just because I'm a part of this or that church, nor am I special because I've been through what I've been through; I am special because of the Holy Spirit in me.  God plays no favorites.

By no means am I saying to accept what everyone is teaching.  I am definitely not saying to trust anyone who believes in God.  Believe what you believe to be true, and don't let people tear down your faith.  But I am saying don't cause others' faith to stumble.  Others may not be at a point in their lives to maturely receive criticism of others.  We all are on the same playing field as far as our chances with God. "God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable" (Romans 11:29, NIV)  or as the Amplified version says: 
       For God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable. [He never withdraws them when once they are
        given, and He does not change His mind about those to whom He gives His grace or to whom 
        He sends His call.]
This means that once God gives gifts, He doesn't take them back.  That's why they are called gifts, not rewards.  Even if the person turns out to be a scoundrel, genuine people could still be ministered to by the Holy Spirit using that scoundrel.  After all, didn't God use a donkey to tell Balaam not to keep going in the direction he was headed (Numbers 22)?

I especially feel it is an injustice when a preacher openly bashes another preacher to a congregation full of people.  I once heard a traveling evangelist say, "I feel that all those grace preachers are doing a disservice to you young people by not telling you the truth..."  and a bunch of people said a hearty "AMEN", and I wanted to punch his lights out.  It's those grace preachers' messages that have kept me from leaving the church altogether.  In fact, several of those grace preachers are seeing thousands saved in their meetings.  The grace of God is irresistible.  It does not harm people, neither does it enable sinners; it changes sinners into saints.  It is God's positive reinforcement.  Why would anyone be so angry that thousands of hearts are coming to know Christ and being spared from Hell?

Some of the motivation for bashing other ministers (same motivation for bashing anyone):
  1.  Jealousy - any person successful in ministry can become an object of jealousy to the minister who is called to disciple a select few.  Ministers all over dream of someday having a global ministry, seeing thousands come to Christ.  They ultimately want their ministry to grow.  What ambitious human doesn't want to expand their territory?  It's also easy to fall into the trap of feeling like God is blessing everyone but you.
  2. Ignorance - people just don't know what is actually being preached and they are hearing second and third-hand interpretations of doctrine.  They don't see the fruit of the ministry and don't know what's really going on.  They end up discrediting a person based on falsehood.
  3. Doubt/Faithlessness - if miracles are happening elsewhere, it can be easy to be skeptical.  But believe in God's power even if you don't see it manifesting in your life (although I believe it will when a person believes)
  4. Disagreement - A person might actually disagree with the doctrine preached.  In this case, one must be extremely sensitive with the subject.  
  5. Pride - A person might just feel that their denomination is superior in every way; their interpretation of scripture is the only way to believe.  It's okay to believe something fervently, but I am talking about those who pride themselves in their beliefs rather than in God.
We MUST be sensitive when we talk about others.  Here's why sensitivity is so important
  1. We can cause others to stumble.  Some people have their pastors on pedestals and can't handle hearing disagreement.  Their faith in their pastor is so closely linked with their faith in God, that to hear someone disagree could make them question their own faith.  Many people look at pastors and leaders as representatives of God in their lives, much like the Jews relied on their priests, and not fully realizing that Jesus Christ is our priest (Hebrews 5-7).  I don't believe it's wrong to look to leadership for guidance, but one must have a proper perspective, not elevating man higher than what he is, especially not higher than God.
  2. There is so much truth to be gained from other doctrinesWe should never be so prideful to think that we are at the top of our understanding of God.  Some of the most beautiful theology comes out of the Anglican church.  Some of the teachings of Charles Spurgeon, a very famous Calvinist, has changed my life.  Catholics have a great understanding of sacrament.  Pentecostals believe for the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be active within the church setting.  Grace preachers are healing balm for those who have been hurt by legalistic believers, and they are seeing masses saved.  Why deprive someone of something they might need simply because you don't agree with the person preaching.
I would say it is noble to feel protective and want to shield others from bad teaching.  I am sure many initially feel this way when they do discredit others.  But it's all the same: make sure you know what you're talking about when you say what you do, and use wisdom in the way that you say it.  Always give respect to the minister who is in question.  Don't make hasty generalizations about these people, after all, didn't Jesus rebuke the disciples for discrediting a preacher of the gospel simply because they didn't know him?

I finish with this thought: 1 John 2:27, "As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him."
 

1 comment:

  1. For the first time, I have absolutely nothing to add. Just so you know.
    And I whole-heartedly agree with you on this.

    In Christ
    CK

    ReplyDelete