Monday, May 26, 2014

First Volunteer Day


I put in my first volunteer hours at the prayer tower reception desk this morning.  I was only there for an hour and a half, and there is nothing to do, really, other than be there for people who need assistance.  There wasn't much going on, so I was updating my blog and responding to facebook messages. 

A Swedish couple came in asking for help with the PA system.  That was about it. 

Then I sat in Matt's office perusing Pinterest for another hour after eating lunch (lox sandwich, yum).  Dustin was doing some web work.  Daniela came in and invited me to go with her and Cynthia (her mom).  We went to a jewelry store first.  The salesman was the nicest guy.  Daniela was wondering if sterling silver was real silver and the guy kept saying, "look at the window," because there were the words "STERLING SILVER" in a large English font.  He kept saying, "This isn't old city!" (apparently the shops are not as honest in the old city because it's easier to fool tourists).  I really liked him.

Here we are on the train: me, Cynthia, Daniela, and Becky, who is British, and is a pro at toting her little Ezra around.

Then we rode the train just because Cynthia has never ridden a train before.  We just rode up all the way, and then down all the way.  This Jewish woman (probably younger than me) gave me the evil eye.  She was staring at my shorts and then held my gaze for a good while to get the point across that she did not approve.  It was a very ugly look on her.  I just raised my eyebrows.  It's like all her beauty withered away in that one judgmental, I'm-better-than-you, stare-down.  Ugh.  Religion.

Maybe I deserved it; not because I was dressed immodestly (my shorts were just a few inches above the knee), but because I am pretty sure I have given that same look to other women who I deemed "unworthy" because of their clothing.  I don't think I've ever given such a long-lived, eye-to-eye demeaning look of disapproval, but I may have given a passing glance, and I've judged inwardly.  I've definitely put my female students in ministry through some difficult times in an effort to "improve" their modesty.

I was a very judgmental person.  And I actually thought I was better, like I was somehow more worthy than others who didn't share the same standards as me.  I've learned how ridiculous that is.  Christ is our righteousness (Romans 4:5).  If our actions earned us salvation, or made us better than others, we wouldn't need a savior.  But I suppose that the Jews don't see it that way.

The ultra orthodox Jewish ladies always keep their knees and elbows covered.  They are always really well-dressed and wearing skirts.  Some of their clothes are so beautiful, and handmade.  The most popular outfit I see is the tanktop dress with a three-quarter length sleeved shirt underneath.  Their hair is always covered either by a sash, or in many cases a wig (doesn't that defeat the purpose?).  There is this specific style wig that I see on women here and there: it's a dark, layered, just past the shoulder length.  Daniela was telling me that some women just shave their heads because its easier.

We went to the Shook again and I bought some cheese, some tea, and some amazing baked goods.  Cynthia is leaving tonight, and It's sad.  Marj made chicken and noodles with a giant pan of brownies.  It was comfort food.

Sidenote:  I met a really interesting Canadian woman named Marty who is a journalist.  I learned that the prime minister of Canada is an Evangelical, and has personally encouraged Netanyahu, and has become a friend of Israel.  I thought that was really awesome.  I responded, "That's really neat since everyone here has been telling me how difficult it is for Jews to live here since everyone around them wants to kick them out."  she looked confused when I said that and began to explain how Jews are quite welcome here, and it's quite the opposite.  Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment