Monday, May 26, 2014

Still First Shabbat (photos)

 
Dustin and I went with Marge and Dave to the Old City.  I definitely felt like I was in Jerusalem when I saw it.  It looks like a castle from the outside.



We walked through the "Christian Quarter", which is really an Arab/Muslim market.  It was beautiful, with the kinds of clothes, tapestries, and leather goods you could only find in Jerusalem.  It was another series of alleys, but much closer together, and not so much food on tables, but little shops built in to the walls with everything hanging overhead. 

Christian Quarter: there's Marge and Dustin!



Here's one of the little shops.


Then we went to the wailing wall.  It was really amazing.  A lot of women were there, only a few men.  Apparently there's an activist group of Jewish women who come protest once a month: they wear the men's garb, and do all the things only men can do, which insults the Jews, really.  It's basically feminists.  There were a lot of birds flying around, probably nesting in the wall itself.


Luckily no one hassled me about operating machinery on Shabbat (my camera). 



Shortly afterwards my camera died, and we went through the Jewish quarter, which I didn't take too many photos with my phone.  It was the Shabbat and all…

Marge was explaining a lot of things to me and Dustin.

I was explaining to her my thoughts last night about how it would be difficult to live anywhere but here for an orthodox Jew.  But she said that it's actually harder to live here because there is so much oppression.  Jews are not wanted here, and the surrounding people just want to "push them into the sea".  So strange.

Anyway, I am so tired, I think I will take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment