Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Corporate Worship, Communion, and Getting Together!



Corporate worship is an amplifier, a magnifier, and an intensifier of the glory of God.

I was talking with two of my favorite people earlier today and at the end I felt full and had to come home and write. During the conversation, one of us would make a statement about God, and another would bolster it with an analogy or anecdote, or make a new statement building on the first one, until we were--or at least I was--so gratified. One statement about the goodness of God is made even better by the shared contemplations and reflections of the next person. Things I wouldn't--couldn't--think of on my own are spoken by those around me, and the entire concept is broadened. When the topic is God, worship is deepened because my appreciation is made more full: my appreciation of God from new perspectives.

"You two are like amplifiers." I said, so caught up in how much these two men had just... well, amplified my love for God in that moment. It was a bit strange to say it out loud to them, though they knew what I meant... I think. They had just made me so happy with their words.

There is something about God that makes me happy. When we talk about Him--about His finished work on the cross--it's like someone is pouring happiness straight into my belly and I want to start laughing, or melting, or crying (the good kind), or hugging everyone.

Alone, I appreciate Him. Together with others, I experience Him.

One person represents only one aspect of God. When we get together, we more fully represent God, because He is an infinite being, and each of us a different expression of Him. One voice is powerful, but like a choir, many voices makes for a louder, more intense sound. I would venture to say many voices in unison makes a more beautiful sound (that's my opinion. I'm a lover of choral music. I'm literally listening to Eric Whitacre right now). One mind is powerful. Many minds... you get the picture. Corporate worship is an intensifier: for the worshiper and for the One being worshiped. It intensifies your awareness of God, and it intensifies the effect towards God, I think. If any of you have been in an affirmation circle, you know that it is intense when you're the object of ten people's individual affirmations. One compliment is wonderful, but ten! You walk away feeling like the best person on the planet! Why wouldn't we do that for God if we love Him? (and we do!)

We've been talking about communion in my Corinthian class, about Chapter 11:13-34 (of 1st Cor.). The Corinthian church was having problems with their gatherings. When they would come together, some of them would eat all the food and others went hungry. Some of them would drink until they were drunk. "You're not eating the Lord's supper!" Paul said. They may have been keeping the formality of eating the bread and drinking the wine, but they were dishonoring each other while doing it. (The early church usually had communion before or after an actual meal).

Paul says in verse 27, "So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord." Many people interpret this verse to mean that if we have been sinful, we are unworthy to partake. But the scripture is not saying that. It is in the context of people letting others go hungry at the Lord's Supper itself. The people were not considering the Lord's body--the church--while trying to remember the Lord's body broken on the cross.

The very act of Christ dying on the cross is a symbol of God's forgiveness! Communion is a sacrament of that forgiveness. It makes no sense to say that if you've sinned, you should NOT remember the Lord and His death until by your behavior that you act worthy! It is the most ironic thing to say, "your sin excludes you from communion." What? If anything, you need it more! Why did Christ die if not to take away your sin? Can any of us become worthy by acting right? no. We become worthy by Christ alone. What Paul was getting at was that they needed to take care of each other--they needed to consider each other--when taking communion.

In Israel, when we would celebrate Shabbat, we would take communion first. Of course, in Israel, it is not communion. It is a recognition of God and His creation (the wine), and His provision (the bread). But it was communion for us as Christians. We added our understanding as brought about by Yeshua (Jesus).
The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. (1Co 11:23-26 NIV)
[Note that Corinthians was written before any of the gospels, so this is actually the earliest account of the Lord's supper]

When we each broke the bread together and shared a meal, it was beautiful. It was different because I was enjoying meals with my friends every week, sharing in communion, and sharing in life. This, to me, is worship. A meal shared among friends is love incarnate. It is a magnification of God. It is an intensification of God's glory. It is not only a remembrance of the Lord's broken body, but of His body, being the church. I now realize that communion is meant to be shared together. It is not just a personal thing between God and me (though it can be). If you think about Jesus, he shared it with His disciples. The early church took it together. And in that light, I now see that it is also about being together.

That makes me want to buy bread and wine and make dinners and invite friends! What a happy thought!

I simply think that a person can't enjoy God quite as much without other people. I believe every person reflects God in some way, whether saved or not. And because of that, there is so much to be gained from those around you. I am blessed to have people in my life whom I love and who love me. So, here's to friends and family getting together!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Susan,
    Great reflection on the way Christ's voice resounds more fully when echoed by many voices!

    One point about sinners being excluded from communion. I completely agree that no one needs Christ more than a sinner, and that nothing is more beneficial than remembering the death of our Lord. But communion is something more. Judas was present at the Last Supper, but this was not to his benefit. 1 Corinthians 5 is even all about one particular individual who is to be excluded from communion, even "delivered to Satan" for the sake of his spirit. Just as the incestuous man in 1 Cor 5 was unworthy of communion, so also those who allow the poor to go hungry and become drunk before communion fall short of the charity required for this gift from the Lord. Your insight linking the body of Christ, the Church, with the body and blood received is spot on.

    I'd be interested to hear more about the Shabbat ritual you mentioned.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max! Thank you for your input!

      I was wondering... What would you say to a person who falls under the category of "not worthy of communion"? If that person came to you, what counsel would you give?

      Delete
    2. Dear Susan,
      To someone who is seeking the mercy of God, that same mercy of God is the response they need to hear! Now everyone has a different situation in life, but for most people I would encourage them to seek God's mercy in the sacrament of reconciliation, so that they may personally hear Christ's words of forgiveness through his ministers, "Whose sins you forgive are forgiven, whose sins you retain are retained" (Jn 20:23), "What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ" (2 Cor 2:10).

      Sometimes there are persons whose living situations are not yet consonant with worthy reception of communion (Jn 4:16-18, 1 Cor 5:1-5), and these persons will require more care lest they fall back into sin again (Mt 12:45). Nevertheless, they need to be strengthened in the conviction that God wills their sanctification (1 Th 4:3). An even more grave situation exists where someone has abused power they have received from God, and the penance required for this can last a very long time. Both Christ and Paul have choice words for such persons.

      That's pretty general, but you know each person is different: some need encouragement and some need correction, some need to be instructed and some need to be consoled.

      All of the above I say about those in sin who want to be reconciled. For those who are obstinate in manifest sin, we can continue to pray for them, but for there can be no question of receiving communion until they seek reconciliation. I wouldn't expect someone like that to come seeking counsel, but I would certainly be willing to help answer questions if they did approach and encourage them to repent.

      Delete