Monday, April 6, 2015

Reflections about Passover and Easter



On Friday, a long time friend of mine from Israel sent me this:
Susan, my dear, Passover is one of the three most important holidays in Judaism- along with Sukot and Shavuot, each symbolizing one of three basic values to live by (my own interpretation)-freedom, creation and community.
Passover is the time when our people became free, became a people. They had to become physically free- leaving the tyranting Egyptians, and then go through a hard and long process to liberate their minds.
So I see this time as an opportunity to rebel against all sorts of modern day oppressors and tyrants.
I wish you a happy spring, full of bloom and renewing life. And also I wish you to remember yourself as a powerful, moral, free woman.
Love you and miss you,
Send my regards to Dustin and your family.
This was probably the most impactful word of encouragement I have ever received concerning this season. I was deeply impacted by her reflections and reminded of my own need to stop and reflect on such things. I haven't done much of my own reflecting around this time because in the past I've always been busy with the Easter productions in our church, busy with details. And the last few years I've been busy catching up on homework and various projects. Busy-ness has kept me from stepping back and appreciating God and His goodness.

What does it even mean to be a powerful, moral, free woman? I feel enslaved to my work. I have made it my focus. Ah the pattern in my life. My troubles push me into busy-ness. Yesterday Dustin and I were hugging and he so gently lamented, "I feel like we haven't been together. Even when we go out together, it doesn't feel like you're with me."

It's hard to be present when I have a lot of work to do.

Nevertheless, my friend's words caused me to stop and reflect on the significance Passover has for Christianity.



Passover is a foreshadowing of the Messiah. Almost everything in Judaism carries symbolism in Christianity. In the same way that the blood of the lambs on the door posts kept Israel's children safe from death in Egypt, so Christ, the Lamb of God, shed His blood on the cross to save all of mankind from sin and its eternal consequences.

Easter Sunday is a celebration of that sacrifice--the crucifixion of Christ. Never mind the Pagan influence on the name of the holiday. For Christians, it is about Christ. Though the crucifixion is something gruesome to celebrate, it represents for us the ultimate sign of love because Christ took the punishment for our sins, and it represents freedom from sin and death. Christ fulfilled the law for us so that we may enter into heaven on His merit and not our own. That is freedom from the law that condemns (because we are incapable of fulfilling that law perfectly, and neither are we God's chosen nation), and from sin that destroys (because now our sin is forgiven, our guilt is removed, our souls are redeemed, and Christ's spirit enables us to live righteously).

I'm sure it might seem unfair for Judaism, which has been working so hard to follow the law (which is a blessed thing) from the beginning, how can it be that others are simply attributed righteousness on the merit of one man?

Christians can be so proud of their moral accomplishments, and judge others based on their behavior when literally their salvation is based solely on the merit of Christ, and not one ounce on their own actions. Easter should remind us of this. But throughout history, Christians have oppressed others because of this lack of understanding, thinking they are somehow better than others who don't believe, and judging the "unsaved" or the "back-slidden" (and these days, often the only criteria for being "back-slidden" is not attending church). It's an insult to what Christ did for them.

Christ made a way for us to enter, despite our shortcomings, but so many turn around and focus on all the shortcomings of the people around them, making it a requirement of salvation to fix those things, or to stop doing those things (sure, we shouldn't do those things, but it's the kindness of Christ that leads us to repentance, not the disapproval of those around us). We should not turn others away with our judgment, but love them the way Christ loves us: unconditionally. What does that even look like? There are only a few who have shown me such a courtesy.

Passover has special meaning to me because it represents what God did for me. It means He loved me, and included me, even though I was not born into the bloodline of His chosen people. I can take no credit for the good He has accomplished in my life. Thank you, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment